It is difficult to provide an accurate figure for the size of the database required as database sizing is affected by so many variables:
- The number of metrics stored and the interval at which these are stored.
- This itself is a function of the number of managed entities monitored, plug-ins used, etc.
- The volatility of the metrics.
- Housekeeping / archiving strategy.
A minimal size for a database in megabytes can be calculated using the following formula:
- Size = Number of Managed Entities * Number of months data to be stored * 10
In practice the size of the database required can be minimised by:
- Keeping only a limited number of days of data
- Carefully considering what data is logged and only logging data which has a known use
- Specifying the interval at which items are logged and using margins