The Toolkit plug-in expects data to be written to the standard out (stdout). One common cause of the error message is that the Toolkit script had written output to the standard error (stderr).
If output is written to stderr, the samplingStatus field would return the error message:
The Toolkit script should only return output on stdout with specific data format. The format is basically comma separated format for table data with headers (optionally) for the headlines.
Please refer to the Toolkit plug-in documentation for details on the data format.
There are a few ways to troubleshoot further:
1. Check the Netprobe log for any unexpected messages that may be written by the Toolkit script
2. Run the script manually on the command line to see any errors
3. Depending on the script language, there could be debug switches that can be enabled inside the script (e.g. #!/bin/bash -x).
4. For Linux and Unix, when appending the below to the command, the stderr output will be redirected to stdout
Example: curl command
When using the curl command to fetch data through the toolkit plugin, the download progress bar information can be mistakenly passed to the Netprobe log, which can cause errors.
1. Since the toolkit plugin only expects CSV format data. The progress bar should be silenced using the -s, -silent, -S, and -quiet options.
curl -s URL
2. For curl 7.67.0 we can switch off the progress meter output without muting or otherwise affecting warning and informational messages like -s, --silent by using --no-progress-meter.