Are you using OP5 Monitor version 6.3 or newer?
1) At this point, you ought to be running OP5 Monitor version 7.4.x. Please upgrade as soon as possible, or contact us for assistance.
2) The beginning steps in this document are specifically for OP5 Monitor versions 6.2 and older:
- If you have upgraded OP5 Monitor to version 6.3 or later, you will already have our pre-built 'check_hpasm' plugin. Please follow these instructions to start using 'check_hpasm'.
- If you have a fresh installation of OP5 Monitor 6.3 or newer, the new commands are already configured and ready to use. You can review the new check_commands at the bottom of this page.
Instructions for OP5 Monitor 6.2 or older:
Monitoring HP/Compaq servers with check_hpasm
HP and Compaq server hardware can be remotely monitored via SNMP. The plugin check_hpasm is used for this. These plugin will monitor the Insight Management agents system status and other, more specific parts, like:
- Power supplies
- Memory modules
- CPU- and board-temperatures
- Raids (IDE and SaS only when using SNMP)
Before you begin you need to have some functions enabled on your HP/Compaq server.
- SNMP must be enabled and configured on the target host
- Use HP Insight Management Agent 7.60, 7.80 or newer, NOT 7.70.
- Download the plugin from http://labs.consol.de/lang/en/nagios/check_hpasm/
Unpack the tarball
Configure and compile
CRITICAL ? powersupply 2 needs attention (failed), System: 'proliant dl380 g2?, S/N: '8224KQS91045?, ROM: 'P24 05/01/2004? | fan_1=50% fan_2=50% fan_3=50% fan_4=50% fan_5=50% fan_6=50% fan_7=50% fan_8=50% temp_1_cpu=38;62;62 temp_2_cpu=41;69;69 temp_3_ioBoard=37;63;63 temp_4_cpu=40;69;69 temp_5_powerSupply=35;54;54
Create a check_command for the new plugin.
- Go to 'Configure' ? 'Commands' and fill in as following:
command_line: $USER1$/custom/hp-insight/libexec/check_hpasm -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $ARG1$
- Save the new command. Click on button 'Apply Changes', 'Save submitted changes' and 'Save objects i have changed'
Configure a new service for your HP/Compaq server.
- Go to ' Configure' ? chose your HP/Compaq server ? 'go'. Show the server services, click on 'Services for host HP/Compaq' and 'Add new service' ? 'go'
- Fill in as following
service_description: Insight Manager
- Save the new service. Click on button 'Apply Changes', 'Save submitted changes' and 'Save objects i have changed'
Instructions for OP5 Monitor 6.3 or newer:
Instructions for upgrade of monitor
Note that these instructions are only for if you have upgraded from OP5 Monitor version 6.2 or older. If you have a fresh installation of OP5 Monitor 6.3 or newer the new commands are already configured and ready to use.
The check commands for monitoring hp proliant and hp bladesystem have been changed in OP5 Monitor 6.3. To configure them correctly follow these instructions.
- Go to Configure -> Check command import -> Expand check_hpasm and mark the checkboxes -> import selected commands
Go to Configure -> Choose the host you want to add the hp monitoring on -> Go -> Press services for host [host] -> Type in a proper service description -> search for the correct check command for you system depending on if it's a proliant system or a bladesystem -> add the correct SNMP community string in the "check_command_args" box.
Thenew check_commands that are configured are named "check_hp_proliant_hardware_remote" and "check_hp_bladesystem_hardware_remote". You add these commands on your HP devices depending on if it's a proliant server or a bladesystem.